Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Thankful Notes


With Thanksgiving on its way I wanted a way for our family to remember what we are thankful for.  We have so many blessings we just sometimes need a reminder. This year I decided to use a frame I already had to pin up our thankful notes each day in November.

Thankful frame - the colored door


I started with a white frame. It had a canvas in it that I probably used for a chalkboard. So you could find any size frame from around the house or a thrift shop.

Thankful frame - the colored door


I spray painted it, of course, using Avocado green by Valspar. It is not a perfect paint job and that is ok because I am not done (plus it was cold and windy the day I sprayed it and I was done).

Thankful frame - the colored door

The green was too bright so I used some stain I had on hand. Then with a rag I dipped it in the can and then squeezed out most of the stain and then wiped it on the frame. I wanted a light coat, not too dark just an aged look. I continued around the frame until I got the look I desired.

Thankful frame - the colored door


Not a great picture but you can see how the stain settled in some of the cracks and corners.

Thankful Frame - The Colored Door

I picked up some chicken wire from Home Depot and stable gun and wire cutters I had on hand.

Thankful Frame - The Colored Door

I unrolled the chicken wire and stapled it down on one side to secure it.

Thankful Frame - The Colored Door

I tried to stretch it a little from top to bottom so it didn't bubble out so much then I stapled along the top and bottom. I cut the wire before stapling the last side.

Thankful Frame - The colored Door

And that is it! Pretty easy!

Thankful Frame - The colored door

I picked up some small clothes pins at Michaels and cut some card stock into various shapes. I placed them nearby so the kids could grab them easily.


Thankful Frame - The Colored DoorThankful Frame - The Colored door

Thankful Frame - the colored door

The kids have had lots of fun writing down things they are thankful for as well as drawing pictures. I love seeing their pictures and it also helps practice spelling for all the kids. The beginning of November is easy to come up with ideas, I look forward to later in the month when they have to get creative. You can only write "family" once. We are putting our names on the back so I can save them and next year we can read them again. This will be a great family tradition.

This will also be great to display Christmas cards and maybe even love notes for Valentines day.

Do you have a tradition with your family on ways to show what you are thankful for?

I hope you all are having a wonderful week!




The Newlywed Pilgrimage
Lil Mrs Tori
Linked up at: DIY by DesignHandy Man Crafty WomanThrifty Decor ChickA few minor adjustmentsCozy Little HouseThe Happy HousieThe Life of Jennifer DawnSomeday CraftsSeven Thirty ThreeCherished BlissLamberts LatelyI Heart OrganizingImparting GraceSimply DesigningLiz Marie BlogMy Love 2 CreateThe Blackberry VineMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaCupcakes and CrinolineHome Stories A to ZA Stroll Thru LifeHope StudiosLil Mrs ToriA Few Minor AdjustmentsCozy Little HouseNot Just a HousewifeOr so she saysHome Stories A to Z

12 comments:

  1. I love this idea & your "Joy" pillow - I'd like one of both.
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute, Tammy! It makes being thankful both easy and decorative! I'm really wanting to do something similar to this in November. It's so important to remember the things we're thankful for. I'm visiting from Moonlight and Mason Jars (my link ups were #10 and 12)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO cute! you've inspired me :) http://www.handmadeintheheartland.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea! Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this--from the color to the cute notes from your kids! Thank you for sharing such a great idea at Twirl & Take a Bow! Hope to see you again this week.

    ~ Brooke ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! That green is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! We've pinned this to our Moonlight & Mason Jars Link Party board and we're so excited to feature you tomorrow. :) Xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea, how fabulous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great idea! I love the chicken wire and I am cracking up that there is candy and Ice cream on there, that sounds like my kids! I am pinning! Thanks for sharing at wowza weekend link party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing at the Twirl & Take a Bow Party. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this project. I love the chicken wire and it seems like it is really easy to do. I've been wanting to try some chicken wire projects. Thanks for showing that it isn't to tough to do! Thanks for linking up to Tell Me Tuesday. You are featured this week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...