Thursday, October 17, 2013

My New Kitchen Wall


I really hope a house can't have too many chalkboards because I just added another one. I love the look of the chalk markers so I had to try one out for myself.

Kitchen wall/ chalk marker - the colored door


This is how the wall was before. We have had this wine rack for a long time and as you can see it is mostly empty. Because I like wine. So there isn't usually much hanging around. And an empty wine rack doesn't look that good. Sometimes I didn't drink a bottle because then the rack would be empty and that just seemed wrong.  So down she came.

Kitchen wall before - the colored door

I started by putting the pictures on the floor so I could see how they looked together. I even put tape on the floor showing how wide the wall was, I am VERY visual.

Then I cut out pieces of paper the same size as the pictures and hung those up. I then measured where the hooks were on each picture and marked that on the paper so I could put the nail right into the paper and the picture hung right where I wanted it.

Kitchen wall templates - the colored door

I found these chalk markers at Michaels. They worked pretty good, but I would try a different brand if I bought more. You had to push down on the tip to release the paint/chalk and if it ran out half way through a letter it was hard to get it to look perfect when I went back. Maybe this is how they all are though.

chalk markers - the colored door


I put chalkboard paint on the last of my canvas stash. Here is where I painted over a canvas for my mantle. I really love the look of the chalk marker, it is so crisp and bright. And I finally found a permanent location for my watercolor "S". Here is a tutorial I did on watercolor letters. The mirror was a birthday present from Ballard Designs.

My new kitchen wall - the colored door


Kitchen wall - the colored door

I love this new corner, now it looks complete. The mixture of colors and finishes just feels perfect to me.

Kitchen wall - the colored door



Have you used a chalk marker before? What is your favorite brand?

Have a wonderful day!!



Linked up at: Liz Marie BlogOne Project CloserIt's overflowingOr So She SaysSuburbs MamaUncommon DesignsCraft-O-ManiacSkip to my LouKeeping it SimpleCupcakes and CrinolineMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaBlackberry VineCoastal CharmA bowl full of lemonsSugar Bee CraftsHope StudiosA stroll thru lifeHandy Man Crafty WomanDIY by DesignSomeday CraftsThe Life of Jennifer DawnThe Happy HousieThe Trendy TreehouseCherished BlissLamberts LatelyImparting GraceThe 36th AvenueLife InspiredThrifty Decor Chick

5 comments:

  1. We also have a perpetually empty wine rack. I have no idea why we have it. I love the "crispness" that the chalk markers give! I am struggling with deciding how to arrange pictures on our walls, I might try your paper trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look of the chalk marker too. The paper trick is so helpful for me, good luck.

      Tammy

      Delete
  2. Love this and such a creative idea. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know chalk markers exist! I love your new wall art, and your watercolor "S" is beautiful as well. You did a great job revitalizing that wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great update! I love the chalkboard art!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...