Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Book Ledges


Kids are off from school again today, I just love these lazy days. I should probably be more productive today though, like get out of my PJ's before 3:00pm. It has been sooo cold here, I think it was -50 wind chill yesterday, yikes! Good days to hibernate inside. With all this inside time my daughter is running out of rubber bands for her rainbow loom, so we may have to venture out tomorrow to get more supplies. Have you seen these things? They are so fun and I can't believe all the designs out there.

This past weekend we finished up on a project I am so excited about. It was one of those that worked out just like in my head, which does not happen often. I have been wanting book ledges for my daughters room for a while now. She has a small bedroom, so no space for a book shelf. It has been fine to keep all of the books in my sons room but as she gets older and is starting to read she really wants her books in her room. These ledges are perfect.


book ledges - the colored door


So over Christmas while visiting my parents, my amazing father, the woodworker, made her 4 shelves.  I was going to do a tutorial but he used a large piece of plywood and cut it down. It would be easier to buy separate pieces of wood and cut them to size.
Here are the dimensions we used to build the shelves. We also used a nail gun instead of screws.

I brought them home and painted them Alabaster white by Sherwin Williams. I LOVE how they turned out. This is otherwise a useless wall and now stores all of her books. She loves it!


Book ledges - the colored door

I made the READ sign a while ago when I was doing my water color letters. The letters are so fun to do and the possibilities are endless.

Book ledges and water color letters- the colored door

Book ledges - the colored door

I have been collecting books for her as I find them at garage sales and resale shops, so it is fun now that she has a place to put them. She is in 1st grade and really getting into reading, but needs just the right books so I hope her new book shelf will help motivate her.

Book Ledges - the colored door


water color letters - the colored door


book ledges - the colored door


I hope you are all staying warm and toasty this week. I just might need to curl up with a good book myself.

Featured at: Smart School House
Someday I'll Learn
Suburbsmama
I was featured on Remodelaholic


Linked up over at: Thrifty Decor ChickLil Mrs. ToriCarolyn's HomeworkA few minor adjustmentsCoastal CharmA bowl full of lemonsA stroll thru lifeFunky Polkadot GiraffeDIY DreamerOh My CreativeDIY by DesignMy Girlish WhimsSomeday Crafts733BlogThe Life of Jennifer DawnCherished BlissImparting GraceLiz Marie BlogThe Shabby NestSugar and DotsMade in a dayJennifer RizzoThe Dedicated HouseTatertots and Jello36th AvenueNancherrowBe different act normalMy love to createSuburbs MamaDelineate your DwellingUncommon DesignsKeeping it SimpleSkip to my LouSo much better with ageCupcakes and crinolineHome Stories A to ZMy uncommon slice of suburbiaLil Mrs. ToriHope StudiosSomeday I'll LearnHandy Man Crafty WomanMostly Homemade MomLamberts LatelyLove Grows WildRemodelaholicI heart organizing


16 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea and smart use of small space! Would look great with frames and photos too. Love this, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look terrific Tammy! I'm currently trying to think of a place to put something like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How creative to use plywood!!! I have the sameledges in my living room's gallery wall and love their style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tammy! What a fantastic idea - I love it! Visiting from Moonlight & Mason Jars. Thank you so much for sharing this and pinning! Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these ledges look great
    and i can think of a few places in my own home
    where small shelves would be perfect

    would love for you to share
    at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these shelves. We have some from Ikea in our son's nursery that I like but I would like to make some custom ones for my daughter's room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect for our playroom! Thanks much!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for stopping by
    Fridays Unfolded and sharing!

    just followed you via G+ and Bloglovin'

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the perfect spot for those book ledges! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these shelves, perfect for little gads to grab a book out. If you get a chance, please link up to: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2014/01/sunday-linky-40.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tammy -- very creative use of space! I love the read sign over the shelves. Very cute.

    Nice to meet a fellow Tammy btw! Tammi :) http://www.frenchrobindesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love these! Great photos!

    Thanks for linking up at our Twirl and Take a Bow Party. Hope to see you again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great project! Your READ sign is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. very nice! I'm collecting ideas for turning my youngest son's closet into a reading nook soon, so I love seeing projects like this :). visiting from Monday Funday

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much Jennifer! I love the READ sign too, it makes the wall feel complete. Thanks for hosting your link- up party!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for visiting, this is a perfect project for your nook. My daughter loves having her own spot for books. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...